Serving Individuals, Families and Businesses in The San Gabriel Valley
Putting Family Law Issues to Rest Retain Our Counsel to Make Informed Decisions Throughout Your Case.

Modifications of Court Orders

Handled By Our Family Lawyers in Pasadena

If you are paying court-ordered child support or spousal support, you can generally seek a modification of these orders anytime there is a legitimate change of circumstances. This means something significant has changed since the spousal or child support order was made. Maybe the spouse or partner who was getting support no longer needs it or the person paying support has had a significant drop in income and can no longer afford the amount of support. Sometimes, the spouse/partner getting support is not making a good faith effort to become self-supporting, so the paying spouse/partner can ask the court to end or change the support order based on this.

How to Modify Current Orders

If the spouses or domestic partners can reach an agreement on a new amount of spousal or partner support, they can write it up as an agreement/stipulation and give it to the judge for signature to have it become a new court order. But if the spouses or domestic partners cannot agree on the change, the spouse or partner wanting the change must file a motion with the court asking for a modification of the spousal/partner support amount. Our family lawyers in Pasadena can guide you throughout the legal process and ensure your best interests and rights are completely protected.

Important: Why You Should Ask for a New Court Order Right Away

Unless the judge signs a new court order, the existing spousal or partner support amount and order will not be changed. If you are the person paying spousal or partner support, you will still owe the full amount of support in your current court order until you get the order changed — even if your situation has changed.

For example, if you lose your job today but you do not change your spousal or partner support order until three months from now, you will still owe spousal or partner support from today until three months from now, even though you were not working. Also, if you owe that amount but are unable to pay it, you will owe interest (at the rate of 10 percent per year) on any unpaid balance. So, to protect yourself, even if you have a verbal agreement with your spouse/domestic partner to change the spousal or partner support amount, put it in writing and have a judge sign it. That way, you have a current spousal or partner support order that reflects the current amount.

To learn more about our family lawyers in Pasadena and how we can help you modify your court order, set up a consultation by calling us today at (626) 325-0770.

Where Law Meets Compassion

Why Hire Green, Stewart & Paul Attorneys at Law?
  • Diverse Areas
    of Legal Knowledge

    We focus on various areas of law, prepared to accommodate your needs no matter what they are!

  • Results-Oriented
    & Cost-Effective

    Our team works diligently to achieve the results you deserve in a prompt and financially effective manner.

  • Custom-Tailored Solutions

    We know that every case is different. Our attorneys take the time to assess and develop solutions tailored to each client's needs.