Serving Individuals, Families and Businesses in The San Gabriel Valley
Take the Right Path to U.S. Citizenship With Trusted Guidance from Green, Stewart & Paul Attorneys at Law.

Removing Conditions on Green Cards

With Our Skilled Immigration Lawyers in Pasadena

If a foreign national is married for less than two years to a U.S. citizen, he or she will get a conditional green card upon marriage to a US citizen, which is valid for a period of two years. The conditional green card holder will have to apply to remove the conditions of their green card in two years to obtain a permanent green card (10-year green card). The primary reason the government issues a conditional green card is to ensure that the couple stays married and to verify that it is a bonafide marriage entered into under good faith.

To learn more about removing conditions from conditional green cards, feel free to reach out to us today at (626) 325-0770 or contact us online. Call now and schedule a case evaluation with our Pasadena immigration lawyers.

Joint Petition to Remove Conditions

If, upon arriving at the time period to remove the conditions of the green card, the marriage is still intact, then the conditional green card holder will apply for a joint application to remove the conditions. This will require the cooperation of the US citizen and assumes the parties’ marriage is still intact.

In a joint petition for the removal of conditions, there has to be adequate evidence of the marriage still being intact and there is the possibility of an interview with an immigration officer. Applicants should consult with a lawyer and seek representation because this is an important step towards establishing permanent residency.


If the marriage is no longer intact and the parties have separated or filed for divorce, the conditional green card holder’s status is at risk. This is a crucial step and the conditional green card holder should immediately seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney in Pasadena to ascertain the next steps to preserve his or her green card.

Generally speaking, if the US citizen spouse will not cooperate in filing a joint petition to remove the conditional green card holder’s conditions, then the applicant may still be able to obtain a permanent green card. If the applicant can demonstrate that the marriage was entered into by good faith and not to evade immigration laws, then there is still a chance to obtain a permanent green card. This is a complicated process and an experienced lawyer should be consulted and retained to handle this matter.

As you can see, the process for obtaining a 10-year green card is extremely complicated and can be lengthy. With the help of a skilled and knowledgeable lawyer, you may be able to expedite the process and make it much easier than it would have been without one. At Green, Stewart & Paul Attorneys at Law, our attorneys are highly experienced in this complex area of law and can provide you with effective and efficient legal services.

Speak with one of our immigration lawyers in Pasadena about your specific case. Call us today at (626) 325-0770 and schedule a consultation.

Where Law Meets Compassion

Why Hire Green, Stewart & Paul Attorneys at Law?
  • Diverse Areas
    of Legal Knowledge

    We focus on various areas of law, prepared to accommodate your needs no matter what they are!

  • Results-Oriented
    & Cost-Effective

    Our team works diligently to achieve the results you deserve in a prompt and financially effective manner.

  • Custom-Tailored Solutions

    We know that every case is different. Our attorneys take the time to assess and develop solutions tailored to each client's needs.